October 29, 2007
What's for dinner?
Okay- so now that the kitchen is slowly getting back into a state of use... I set our menu for the next two weeks and started with a couple new recipes. Anyone that knows me, knows I don't cook. Sadly Makena eats lots of Kraft Mac & Cheese, Noodles w/ Italian dressing (Her favorite) and Lean Cuisine frozen meals. I know I suck - but I wasn't born w/ the cooking gene. Plus I hate to clean up. Anything with more than a couple ingredients is too confusing when you're trying to take care of a 6yr old, do laundry, empty the dishes and anything else that is required after work. ANYWAYSSSS.... So, cooked something new. Even though I like to try and stay away from tons of processed foods (though you wouldn't guess from my previous list of food) - I LOVE Salmon. We're fortunate Makena likes all things good too (Salmon, Steak, Lobster--- we're rearing her to be an expensive date as she grows up!). So, I tried a new recipe this evening. I aim for 30 minute meals on weeknights.

Lemongrass and Citrus Poached Salmon
(Serves 4)

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound salmon fillet
1-1/2 cups and 2 tablespoons chicken stock
1-1/2 cups and 2 tablespoons orange juice
3/4 cup and 2 teaspoons white wine
3/8 small yellow onion, chopped
2-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
3/4 cup and 2 teaspoons chopped lemon grass
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper

DIRECTIONS
Remove skin from salmon, then cut into desired portions. (I didn't remove the skin)
In a large pot, combine chicken stock, orange juice, white wine, onion, garlic and lemon grass. Season with salt and white pepper. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to a low boil. Place the salmon in the poaching liquid until flaky and tender, about 5 minutes. (took me A LOT longer than 5 minutes, depends on how thick the salmon is)

Wine TIp
Try with a California Sauvignon Blanc .


So, Makena wasn't a big fan of this. Normally she can easily pack down at least 1/2lb of salmon + pasta. I don't care for wine either, and you could taste it slightly in this. Anyways- it was a decent recipe, though I'm a creature of habit. I like to steam my salmon for 20 minutes in the steamer w/ onion slices strewn over it. On the top rack of the steamer I like to put thick slices of zucchini and/or squash. It's simple, easy and w/ a little salt/pepper a REALLY healthy meal.

So, today I tried something different. I have to look at the list for tomorrow's dinner. Check back to see, "What's for dinner at our house?"

Labels:

posted by 2Kais at 7:47 PM -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment


About Me
Name: 2Kais
Home: Seattle, Washington, United States
About Me:
See my profile...

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Credits

Free Blogger Designs
Dingbat Font1 - Dingbat Font 2