March 27, 2007
.... and then she felt guilt!
Well, this morning we had our first major moment of guilt (well Makena did).

Her responsibility is 'Gus', our big dopey cat. And this morning I asked her, like I did everyday at my parent's house "Did you feed Gus" "Does Gus have food" etc.... She looked at me and said 'Yes'. So we're getting out the door, she's looking for her coat and we're all coralling ourselves outward and I walk past Gus' food bowl. I expect there to be 'something' there since he's been a bit finicky since we moved him from my parent's house to our house, but apparently he has been hungry enough or LOVES his new food. And there was NOTHING there. ( I know there was last night though). With a disappointed and frustrated tone I expressed to Makena that 'poor Gus' doesn't have any food and that didn't she say she checked on him? And how sad that Gus was going to be hungry all day if I hadn't said anything?... a moment of pause.... THEN- the floodgates came down! BAWLING! Ultimate bawling. Looking at the clock I lose another ounce of patience - as I'm feeling the moments tick closer and closer to more traffic on the road. "Makena grab your coat we have to go" (In the meantime I am feeding poor fluffy, bug-eyed Gus his delicious Iams - take note he's probably holed up hiding under Makena's bed).

Bawling continues.

We walk down the steps to exit through the garage... PJ, then me, then Makena (imagine her hanging her head low, doing that sobbing/breathing thing kids do when they are so upset) She holds my hand and we hussle down the stairs. Load on up as I open the car door. The usual 'All Aboard' is announced as she pulls herself up into the Trailblazer. I hop in and we buckle up.

As we reach the end of the driveway Makena says (through her red puffy eyes, scraggly hair and sad voice) "Do you know why I am crying?"... I say "Why?" (though I know she is so- busted)...

"Because I feel terrible that I lied."

And there it was- a defining moment for Makena. Where I took the opportunity to explain making good choices and making bad choices and that as I should know as well, the truth- though disappointing is always the better route. And that in this matter, though I was disappointed she needed to consider poor Gus and how hungry he would have been all day long w/ no food had I not seen it.

We pulled up to school and I took her in to drop her off and gave her a great big hug and pulled her hair out of her face. I told her I loved her and that even though she didn't make a good choice this time that she could learn from this experience.



So, sad but yet another lesson at the Stoural household. :)

Labels:

posted by 2Kais at 7:45 AM -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment


About Me
Name: 2Kais
Home: Seattle, Washington, United States
About Me:
See my profile...

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Credits

Free Blogger Designs
Dingbat Font1 - Dingbat Font 2